For the fritters
- 60g of butter, plus a little extra
- 60g plain flour
- 570ml milk1 small leek, shredded finely
- 120g strong Comté cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp herb and honey mustard
- 4 eggs beaten
- Oil for frying – vegetable is best
For the tomato chilli jam
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 small hot chilli pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- A splash of balsamic vinegar
- 8 fresh tomatoes (large and ripe)
By Gareth Johns : Regional winner for Vive le Cheese competition in Wales
Method for the fritters
Make a thick white sauce by melting the butter, sweating the leek, adding the flour and cooking it to make aroux before gradually stirring in the milk until you have the desired consistency.
Stir in all the grated cheese and both mustards. Season well. Spread the sauce in a thick layer, about an inchthick onto a sheet of non-stick paper and chill for at least one hour. When set, cut into squares (or fingers)and coat in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Deep fry in hot vegetable oil until golden brown (which should takeabout 3-4 minutes).
Method for the tomato chilli jam
Sweat the garlic in a little vegetable oil, then add the chilli, tomato paste, sugar and vinegar and cook forabout a minute.
Add the skinned, chopped and de-seeded tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook until thick, adding alittle more sugar and vegetable stock or water as necessary.